Friday, September 14, 2007

Economics



I've always said that I never wanted to work for Nike or any of those elite corporate sponsors with the sweat shops in some arm pit of a third world country. I think that's at least one value I'd like to stick to- try to stay away from sweatshop-backed places. Except now I might get this internship with American Girl Dolls this summer... those dolls are made overseas, don't know if the dolls and accessories are made in rightful conditions or not.
But who knows if a good enough opportunity came along? Wouldn't you be crazy not to take it? But isn't that what most people in those jobs could argue? That yeah, maybe they knew about what was going on behind the scenes negatively, but it was just too good of a chance to pass up. What if that opportunity gave you the chance to do things you really wanted to do- travel, choose your own projects, etc.
I'd like to think that I would retain enough ethics to turn it down.
I don't really know what I want to do as a job. I don't really want to just live on my art. I do want to make art and sell it, I just don't want that to be my only means of supporting myself. I want a "real job," too.

No comments: