Thursday, March 13, 2008

Color In DC

Downtown DC is colorless. It’s filled with plain business suits and drained looking people. Bleached white monuments and grey pavement. On the bad days I’m bored. Black secret service cars, the most color you see is homeless peoples’ ragged carts filled with their lifestyles and ambulances’ flashing lights leading to GW hospital. Georgetown, despite all the popular stores like Urban Outfitters is colorless and bland in itself, lacking a lot of diversity in the rich GW students, business suited men going to lunch and the odd hobo begging for change. Most of the time I love DC, especially on sunny days, but I miss large green parks that more people then just drug users and hobos sit in. I miss the blue lagoon across from my house at home. Sometimes I come home from school feeling grey like everyone else in this city and I don’t question the fact that Washington was rated one of the ugliest cities in the US. Everyone’s stressed and tired all the time, and I felt most at home when driving with the windows open on a sunny, windy, warm day around Arlington Cemetery and the Park Way. Growing up in Wisconsin where fields and farms and trees and hills are plentiful you forget how much you take the color green for granted. Green is the color of things that are alive, and on bad days, Washington, DC is the color of things that are dead.

No comments: