Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dark And Light

I never really used to understand why Black and White aren’t technically described as colors, until recently. When I was little, they were still colors in a crayon, so what difference did it make? It was one of those statements like my fourth grade teacher saying, “There’s so such thing as can’t.” Kids can’t take things conceptually. Everything’s so literal. “Can’t” is a word. And that’s that.
Black used to dominate my wardrobe, and now I really understand how devoid of color I really was. Wearing black predominantly makes you look paler then you are and you’re not very approachable, Black doesn’t reflect light, it swallows it.
White, on the other hand, is of course; also colorless but is nothing but light. It tints light instead of takes over it, when mixing paints or pastels.
I used to only draw with charcoal, just black, and maybe some white accents. Painting opened me up to a whole new world of color and understanding and expression. I love skin colors, and how subtle things like veins and blush and shine in the hair. I filled my sketchbooks with acrylics and sharpies, layering colors and cutouts and sketches on top of each other.

No comments: