Thursday, March 13, 2008

Issues In Color

Milwaukee, Wisconsin is still one of the most racially segregated cities in the Midwest. A good friend of mine, who’s a Russian immigrant who moved here when he was six, remembers living in Milwaukee in a time when there was still a pretty real Russian district. Even now it’s still easy to tell when you cross cultural lines, whether it’s in the downtown Third Ward White bread part of the city or the darker Marquette university area. Race and color are still a pretty real issue in our society. Being black or white or all the colors in between still creates severe stereotyping, and minorities still make less money then the average white person with the same job. We’re finally at the age when it’s very possible that a black man might be voted president, and the thing that’s still sad is that it took so long.
I grew up at the most diverse high school in Madison, Wisconsin, which is the second most diverse city in Wisconsin after Milwaukee and definitely more integrated, but still relatively white bread compared to most cities of the US. At the end of the year the state newspaper printed quotes and thoughts about graduating from various valedictorians from different Wisconsin high schools. One student talked about how his student body would have to be in much more culturally diverse situations and that would be a big step for them, which honestly was alien to me. The year before that there was a situation at a basketball game where the rich private school started chanting statements remarking on our large poor student body, saying “Food Stamps clap clap Food Stamps” and “Your dad works for my dad.” It of course almost caused a huge fight and I still think those students deserve to get the crap beat out of them. The idea that anyone would think that something like that would be remotely okay just blows me away. I’m saddened by the issues that should already be past, whether its race or genders or homosexuality. All differences should be celebrated, and risking a terrible cliché, like a rainbow.
This past year I painted a mural for my school, which pictured me and two friends, a white girl and a black boy. I’d never really painted anyone of color before, not really because of any reason other then I’ve only really painted self-portraits. Painting my friend was a large challenge. He’s got beautiful chocolate skin and the best smile of anybody I’ve ever met. But you don’t use just browns, but also oranges and pinks and purples. Chocolate has so many amazing shades. I can’t say I was blown away but this discovery, as if African American people are automatically just one color, but I’d never examined anyone’s skin color so closely before, if only just because painting pale skin colors comes naturally since I look at my own pale skin every day. I’m proud to say the murals done by me and my other friends’ displays all different kind of students, colors, beliefs, and lifestyles. We are diverse and I’ll always be proud of where I came from, especially coming from generally White Wisconsin.

No comments: