Thursday, March 13, 2008

Taste, Smell, Feel, See

Red is dry skin, itchy contacts, and too much marijuana on April 20th. Discomfort thrives on the most passionate color, and the most bitter of people would apply that statement to love, romance, paper hearts and Valentine’s Day. But red doesn’t really remind me of any of things. Tomato sauce, yes. Beating heart, blood on the floor, maybe. But not love.
Yellow reminds me of flowers, first. Starting with sunflowers, and of course that connects to the sun, the kind children draw when learning about planet alignment, a yellow circle starburst, usually with sunglasses. We thought we were clever.
Yellow makes me think of the Simpson’s, Jaundice, and ugly upholstered La-Z Boy chairs.
On bad days it reminds me of sickness, of not enough sleep and the stomach flu, like the color my vomit was the day I went to GW hospital.
On better days yellow is the color I wear when I’m feeling well. I like being sunshiny, some days.
Blue is robins’ egg, the sky on clear days but not in places like Seattle or Denver or Beijing where the smog doesn’t let the grey go away. Blue is a newborn infant’s thin, delicate skin with the veins showing through, and my favorite pair of blue jeans. Blue is the southern parts of the oceans, and the color of almost all my boyfriend’s eyes. Strangely enough.
Tomato sauce plus Denim blue equals eggplant, plums, and grapes, a wide range of fruits. Bruises and Welch’s grape juice, violets. Sunflowers plus baby’s veins showing through skin equals wheatgrass and kiwis, cactuses. Live things like to be green. Valentine’s Day and the Simpson’s makes for a quirky television show and citrus-ey things like Oranges and Cough medicine.

No comments: